July 4, 2014

Faith Post! Proverbs Blog-Along

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I've been doing a poor job of keeping up with my Bible reading, so I want to make myself accountable to YOU. I'd like to read a chapter of Proverbs everyday for the month of July. Obviously I'm running 4 days late, but this will be my catch-up post.

So, it won't be enough for me to just read and carry on - I'll have to post my favorite part from each chapter and write a little bit about why I liked that verse. Anyone else game??? Follow along in the comments everyday :)

DAY 1

Proverbs 1:1-6 NLT

These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel. Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline, to help them understand the insights of the wise. Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives, to help them do what is right, just, and fair. These proverbs will give insight to the simple, knowledge and discernment to the young. Let the wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser. Let those with understanding receive guidance by exploring the meaning in these proverbs and parables, the words of the wise and their riddles.

Different version below...
Proverbs 1:1-6 MSG

These are the wise sayings of Solomon, David’s son, Israel’s king— Written down so we’ll know how to live well and right, to understand what life means and where it’s going; A manual for living, for learning what’s right and just and fair; To teach the inexperienced the ropes and give our young people a grasp on reality. There’s something here also for seasoned men and women, still a thing or two for the experienced to learn— Fresh wisdom to probe and penetrate, the rhymes and reasons of wise men and women.

MY THOUGHTS

Funny that I've probably read Proverbs 1 a couple of times but never noticed that it starts off talking about the purpose of the whole book. About what the sayings and words are written for and what they aim to do (basically a life manual of sorts and to help its readers be successful). This just goes to show me and you that PURPOSE is very important. When I set out to do anything, what's my purpose behind it? Focus on the Family uses the word INTENTIONALITY a lot. It just asks "what are my intentions with everything I do?" Now I don't think it has to be serious all the time. I can go to the movies for fun, with the intent to relax. 

So what is my purpose of going through Proverbs through the month of July publicly?
1. To be better disciplined about reading the Bible.
2. To hopefully gain some insight and wisdom about life, and how to live in obedience to God.
3. To commit to a better relationship with God.
4. For accountability. 

Have a great weekend!
Berry.

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I never noticed that the purpose is included.i have to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get on with reading mine more regularly too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    www.dammyrouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading Proverbs the message in there is so powerful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article.
    I wanted to write a little comment to support you.


    Take a look at my blog ... http://nouveauclashofclanstriche.blogspot.com/, blogspot.com,

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you about this post! Let's all learn and share our worlds.